Summarize and humanize this content to 2000 words in 6 paragraphs in English
By PAULA MURRAY Published: 20:23 BST, 1 April 2025 | Updated: 20:23 BST, 1 April 2025

A Scottish tourist seriously hurt in a suspected gas blast in Rome last month has died.Grant Paterson suffered third degree burns to 75 per cent of his body after the bed and breakfast he was staying in was reduced to rubble in the explosion on March 23.Incredibly, he was pulled out alive and conscious from the wreckage of the three-storey building in the Monteverde area of the Italian capital.He underwent emergency surgery at the city’s Sant’Eugenio Hospital and remained unconscious on a ventilator before a further operation for skin craft last week.It is understood his daughter flew out to be with him with an online fundraiser started to help cover the costs.However, officials confirmed yesterday the 54-year-old, from East Kilbride, Lanarkshire, had succumbed to his injuries.Authorities are now investigating the incident as ‘manslaughter’ with the most likely theory that the blast was caused by a gas leak or a cylinder.Roberto Gualtieri, the Mayor of Rome, ordered the probe in the immediate aftermath of the explosion and said: ‘The injured person was a guest at a lodging facility that is currently under investigation, which appears to be a regularly registered bed and breakfast. The ongoing inquiry aims to assess the safety and legality of the establishment.‘The injured man has injuries consistent with an explosion due to a gas leak.’Mr Paterson, who had worked for the ferry operator CalMac for more than a decade, was reportedly having breakfast at the time of the explosion which neighbours described sounding like a ‘bomb going off’. Grant Paterson, from East Kilbride, during his holiday in Rome The remains of the bed and breakfast Mr Paterson was staying at in Rome A firefighter sifts through the remains of the building following the suspected gas explosionHe was travelling solo and had arrived in the luxury accommodation for a week-long break the previous Monday, posting pictures of it online saying: ‘This should be a good week… if I don’t get killed in some ungodly way.’Last night his employer paid tribute to him with chief operating officer Diane Burke saying: ‘Everyone at CalMac is distraught that Grant has passed away.‘He was a true gentleman and a credit to MV Clansman, the vessel he served aboard.‘During a distinguished 12-year career with us, he embodied the very best of CalMac and, with his larger-than-life character, he was much-loved by colleagues and passengers alike.‘Our thoughts are with Grant’s friends and family at this extremely difficult time.’There was an outpouring of condolences online with a large number of Italians expressing their sorrow for his family.But there were also tributes closer to home with Grant Gibson writing on social media: ‘Devastated at the news today that Grant Paterson has lost his battle for survival. RIP and fair winds. You will be sorely missed big guy.’Margaret Murdoch added: ‘Very sad news, sending heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and Clansman colleagues.’And Donna Williams-Bale wrote: ‘So sad to hear this. Grant was a lovely man, a true gentleman. I will miss our chats whilst I’m travelling.‘Our deepest condolences. Thoughts are with his daughter, family and friends and work colleagues. Rest in peace, Grant. You will be truly missed.’A spokesman for the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said: ‘We are supporting the family of a British man who died in Italy and are in touch with the local authorities.’
Advertisement

Share or comment on this article:
Tragedy as Scots tourist dies days after suspected gas blast destroys bed and breakfast

Share.
Exit mobile version